The Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre is Moscow's local historical theatre and has been playing films, showing live performances, and hosting social events since 1926.
Located at 508 Main Street, the Kenworthy Theatre occupies a dominant position in the very midst of downtown Moscow. Although the opening of the Kenworthy Theatre as a public theater by Milburn Kenworthy took place on January 4, 1926, parts of the building were in use as an opera house as far back as 1908.
Milburn Kenworthy purchased a Robert Morton theater pipe organ in 1927 which was used to accompany silent films. The organ is now housed at the University of Idaho Auditorium, where it has been restored to premium condition.
This brick structure was enlarged in 1928 by extending the theater southward for twenty feet. At that time, the theater was used for vaudeville and other dramatic productions and had a full but shallow stage with proscenium and fly space (see attached photos). It was also used for silent films with the placement of a screen in front of the stage and a projection booth at the back of the balcony.
A non-profit organization, Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre, Inc. was formed, and in January, 2000 initiated operation and restoration of the theater.